We work to protect the Civil Rights of Students in Pre-Kindergarten through Higher Education.
Education attorneys and advocates at the Law Offices of Nicole Joseph provide expert legal representation and advocacy for Maryland families facing education issues.
We represent students at all levels from preschool through graduate programs in both public and private schools. For each issue we address, in any of these environments, our philosophy is the same: We treat all people with respect, are highly responsive to clients and school systems, and work tirelessly to firmly, efficiently, and effectively achieve our clients’ desired outcomes. We do this by applying our deep knowledge of this highly specialized area of the law to creative and cooperative problem solving, and by utilizing appropriate legal options, including mediation, due process or litigation.
- Special education
- Individual Education Programs
- Section 504 Plans
- Placement in non-public or private schools, and tuition reimbursement for students who can not be adequately served in public schools
- Appropriate academic interventions inside and outside of the classroom
- School discipline, suspension, and expulsion in public and private K-12 schools
- Hearings and appeals of disciplinary or academic matters in colleges and universities
- Accommodation requests and enforcement in all levels of schooling from pre-kindergarten through graduate programs
- Learning or accommodations plans in private schools
- Identifying outside providers to evaluate needs and help you build your support network
Our education attorneys and advocates can help determine whether your school-aged child is eligible for special education services under an Individual Education Program (IEP) or a 504 Plan, and can advocate for your child to be placed in the school that best fits their needs. We can address and improve communication issues with your child’s school; represent you in IEP or 504 Plan meetings; appeal denials of service; and seek tuition reimbursement for non-public placement. We work to ensure that our clients at all levels of schooling get the services, support, and accommodations they need and are entitled to under the law.
We also represent students in pre-K through graduate programs in school discipline, suspension, and expulsion proceedings to ensure that their rights are protected and any disability related factors are considered.
Our clients have a variety of disabilities including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, autism spectrum disorder (ASD), behavioral issues, dyslexia and other learning disabilities, among many other disabilities, as well as concerns that are undiagnosed. Our education attorneys and parent advocates can alleviate the challenges of learning with these disabilities by making sure that a school, college, or university is fully meeting the student’s needs.
Schools have a team of professionals at their disposal and it is critical that you do as well. In addition to providing representation, we can help assemble your team by identifying the best professionals to support your needs, including experts to conduct educational and psychological assessments, mental health providers, tutors, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, and behavior support professionals.