Protecting the Civil Rights of Students in Pre-Kindergarten through Higher Education.
Education attorneys and advocates at the Law Offices of Nicole Joseph provide expert legal representation and advocacy for Maryland families facing education issues. We represent students at all levels from preschool through graduate programs in both public and private schools. On each issue we address in any of these environments, our philosophy is the same: We treat people all with respect, are highly responsive to clients and school systems, and work tirelessly to firmly, efficiently, and effectively achieve our clients’ desired outcomes. We do this through applying our deep knowledge of the law to creative and cooperative problem solving, and by utilizing appropriate legal options including due process or litigation.
- Special education
- Individual Education Programs
- Section 504 Plans
- Placement in non-public schools and tuition reimbursement for students who could not adequately be served in public schools
- Appropriate academic interventions inside and outside of the classroom
- School discipline, suspension, and expulsion in public and private K-12 schools
- Initial hearings and appeals of discipline or academic matters in colleges and universities
- Accommodation requests and enforcement in all levels of schooling from pre-kindergarten through graduate programs
- Learning plans in private schools
- Identifying outside providers to evaluate needs and help you build your support network
Our education attorneys and advocates can help determine whether your school-aged child is eligible for special education services under an Individual Education Program (IEP) or a 504 Plan, and can advocate for your child to be placed in the school that best fits their needs. We can address and improve communication issues with your child’s school; represent you in IEP or 504 Plan meetings; appeal denials of service; and seek tuition reimbursement for non-public placement. We work to ensure that our clients at all levels of schooling get the services, support, and accommodations they need and are entitled to under the law.
We also represent students in pre-K through graduate programs in school discipline, suspension, and expulsion proceedings to ensure that their rights are protected and any disability related factors are considered.
Our clients have a variety of disabilities including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, autism spectrum disorder (ASD), behavioral issues, dyslexia and other learning disabilities, and concerns that are undiagnosed. Our education attorneys and advocates can alleviate the challenges of learning with these disabilities by making sure that a school, college, or University is fully meeting a student’s needs.
Schools have a team of professionals at their disposal and it is critical that you do as well. In addition to providing representation, we can help assemble your team by identifying the best professionals to support your needs, including experts to conduct educational and psychological assessments, mental health providers, tutors, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, and behavior support professionals.